The Armed Forces are set to hold “war games” for a No Deal Brexit within days, it has emerged.
The reports come after it was confirmed 3,500 troops are being held at readiness for a no-deal scenario on March 29, with the Armed Forces ready to call up reserves.
According to Sky News, a number of no-deal war games will be held by the armed forces “in the coming days.”
A source claimed the story referred to a desk-based exercise rather than one involving troops in the field. There would then be an exercise across government towards the end of February.
A Whitehall source told the Mirror the exercises were designed to “see where we are and what we can do”, but added: “It’s not boots on the ground”.
Troops are understood to be on standby for logistical support if roads and ports are gridlocked and food supplies run low after March 29.
The focus is understood to be more on logistics than the threat of “civil unrest”, although last week it emerged plans have been drawn up to impose martial law if needed.
Sky News obtained a note from Stephen Lovegrove, the permanent secretary at the Ministry of Defence, to staff before Christmas.
It said of Brexit preparations: “We will not only have to continue this hard work but treat it as our highest priority.”
A spokesman for the MoD told Sky: “We routinely undertake planning across defence to ensure we are prepared for a range of scenarios and Brexit contingency planning is no different.
“We are working across government to ensure our people, the defence estate, and our national and international commitments would be unaffected by a no-deal Brexit.
“There would be no impact on previously agreed activity, including overseas operations, exercises and UK contingency operations.”